Subject: Re: [libssh2] sftp performance

Re: [libssh2] sftp performance

From: Peter O'Gorman <libssh2-devel_at_mlists.thewrittenword.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 09:12:03 -0500

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 05:44:24AM -0400, James Housley wrote:

> On May 1, 2007, at 1:25 AM, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 03:38:56PM -0400, James Housley wrote:
> >>
> >> On Apr 30, 2007, at 3:31 PM, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> >>
> >> I know there are changes in that code related to the non-blocking
> >> work in the sftp path. Just out of curiosity, have you compared the
> >> older 0.14 version? Are we better or worse then that?
> >
> > I am afraid that I have never tried libssh2-0.14, sorry. I'll look if
> > I get the chance.
>
> That is fine, just curious. Slower is not good, just wonder if it
> was slow to begin with. How are you doing your test?

I started with curl, noticed a significant speed difference with
sftp:// and scp:// urls, then, to eliminate curl as a possibility, I
modified the examples scp_nonblock and sftp_nonblock to connect to a
remote server grab a file from there and write it to stdout. I have
been using non-trivial files, between 90 and 700Mb in testing (`cat
/dev/urandom > /tmp/TEST` for varying lengths of time).

Peter