Subject: [libssh2] libssh2_userauth_publickey_fromfile multiple tries problem

[libssh2] libssh2_userauth_publickey_fromfile multiple tries problem

From: libssh sroschke <libssh.sroschke_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 09:03:37 +0200

Hello,

first let me thank you for your work on the libssh2 library. Your work is
really appreciated. I hope you can give some advice on the problem I have.

I've got a problem using the the libssh2_userauth_publickey_fromfile
function multiple times. I simply open a socket, create the LIBSSH2_SESSION,
and call the libssh2_userauth_publickey_fromfile function for several keys,
e.g., 100 different keys.

My experiments revealed that I can try app. 8 keys per connection. After 8
tries I have to close the socket, re-establish the connection and recreate
the LIBSSH2_SESSION as it is not working reliable if I use the old socket,
i.e., it will not recognize a successful authentication. After 8 tries the
returned error code is:

err = -7 msg = Unable to send userauth-publickey request

Is there a reason why only 8 tries per connection are working? Is there a
way to allow more than 8 auth tries without re-establishing the connection?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
S.Roschke