Subject: [ libssh2-Bugs-2800958 ] libssh2_scp_send() does not support files >4GB

[ libssh2-Bugs-2800958 ] libssh2_scp_send() does not support files >4GB

From: SourceForge.net <noreply_at_sourceforge.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 12:52:12 +0000

Bugs item #2800958, was opened at 2009-06-04 10:59
Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by bagder
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=703942&aid=2800958&group_id=125852

not just the latest update.
>Category: API
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Note: I'm using Solaris 9/10, libssh2 1.1

The 4th parameter of libssh2_scp_send() is of type size_t. With the ILP32 (default) model, size_t is 32-bits wide. That makes impossible to transfer files larger than 4GB. I've not tested the LP64 model (accessible with -m64 on Sun Studio and probably gcc), but that should work. Nevertheless, size_t is not the appropriate C type for file sizes. POSIX uses off_t, which is either long long (-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 or LP64 model) or long.

See attached patch (I've used the off_t C type, but fill free to use any 64-bit wide type).

Gaëtan

Date: 2009-06-04 14:52

Message:
This report seems to confuse matters.

libssh2 supports SCP for files larger than 4GB, but it does not support
sending more than 4GB in a single libssh2_scp_send() call on systems where
size_t is 32bit. I can't think of any legitimate use-case where you'd want
to do this.

libssh2_scp_send() is meant to be called repeatedly over and over with
data to send.