Subject: Re: client-side only vs. libssh?

Re: client-side only vs. libssh?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 00:14:59 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Aris Adamantiadis wrote:

>> Are you considering to change the license?
>>
> I was considering but other developers did not want. We do not see the
> licensing as an issue.

Sorry, I just wanted to get your previous comment clarified when you said
you'd work on it for the next major release. Obviously you then referred to
the non-blocking parts.

I've worked with a sufficient amount of companies using libssh2 to realize
that anything with a copyleft, including LGPL, will be less attractive. We've
so far had a few companies paying for development and I see great value in
using the BSD or a BSD-like license for something like this. I'm also aware
that this is a sensitive issue and people are entitled to think differently.
License issues tend to be more like religion.

Funnily enough, you can borrow code from us but we can't borrow anything from
you...

>> In this particular case, I'm far from convinced that this competition is
>> good.
>>
> What you say is true in a sense, but as been shown to be false for other
> communities such as kde and gnome.

Perhaps. Who knows what greatness we would've had without their divide?

> We are at a point where we have two codebase largely different and
> incompatible, having different features, strengths, weaknesses and bugs.
> This makes the choice possible for the final user, when a one-size-fits-all
> approach may not be suited to the particular needs of that user.

This are the facts today yes, but personally I don't see these as obvious
benefits to users or developers. Sure, they can pick from two libs but if we
had been one united lib we should've been able to make that single one better
than any of these two's current state given the same time and man power.

In reality that doesn't matter of course. We can't change history.

> I know you weren't at the origin of the libssh2 project. I just want to add
> that the first release of libssh was made in 2003 and I never refused any
> contribution.

Back in 2006 I did a comparison among what was available at the time as I was
ready to select one for my work on libcurl:

         http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2006-09/0060.html

... which turned out favourably for libssh2. I also posted to both mailing
lists and asked about how they viewed the state of non-blocking and what would
be needed to get it done. (Sep 17th 2009 I posted to your mailing list.) The
reply I got on the libssh list "you should use threads" didn't help to make a
good impression on me either, so I jumped on libssh2. I've also invested quite
a bit in libssh2-using stuff so I'm also a bit married to the API now (in
spite of its set of flaws).

> I thank you for your quick intervention and cooperation. I want our two
> projects to communicate and exchange in a constructive manner. Would you
> want that we provide a comparison page between libssh and libssh2 on
> libssh.org ?

I really would like to provide an accurate and as little biased comparison as
possible on our site, which then would basically could be the same as you'd
show on your site...