Subject: shell exec and parseing

shell exec and parseing

From: A. Mark <gougolith_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:25:33 -0800

What would be an easy way to check whether a process has started or
terminated and also to get the pid of a process if I'm executing from a
/bin/sh shell on remote host. I was thinking of issueing commands like echo
$! or ps but then i'll have to parse all those stray messages, so this is

Also right now I'm parsing messages from the output of my running remote
process under the shell (/bin/sh), is there a neat way to perform sscanf
type reading from the input buffer from channel read? Right now I'm using a
file to write out the buffers contents then i read it back with fscanf
discarding strings that are unknown, but this seems too cumbersome. Any
ideas ?

Thanks !