Subject: Re: Spammers have discovered trac.libssh2.org

Re: Spammers have discovered trac.libssh2.org

From: Alexander Lamaison <swish_at_lammy.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 21:54:47 +0000

On 1 March 2011 21:41, Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Mark Riordan wrote:
>> Alas, it seems that bad guys have discovered a way to spam us.
>
> Yeah. I've deleted the tickets, but they can of course create new.
>
> The spam thing is pretty much impossible to solve perfectly in an
> automated way.

To solve 100%, yes impossible. To reduce greatly, no.

I've found the spam filter included with Trac 0.12 to be very
effective. It combines measures such as Captcha and Bayesian
filtering with online spam filtering information from the likes of
TypePad and Akismet to decide what is and isn't spam. My Trac gets
spammed 50 times a day but less that one a week makes it through the
filter. I've never seen a false positive.

Alex