Subject: Re: [libssh2] SSH server

Re: [libssh2] SSH server

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:15:11 +0100

Hi Anders,

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 03:04:17PM +0100, Andreas Tyrberg wrote:
> We are looking into implementing an SSH server for an embedded
> system.

Check out dropbear if you haven't already.

> We know that libssh2 today only supports the client part of SSH,
> but most of the functionality should already be there, right?

SSH-wise, probably yes. But the server also has the other end (the
system) to worry about, and libssh2 doesn't really address that.

> What needs to be added to libssh2 to be able to use it as an SSH
> server library also?

Session setup and a mechanism for authentication to begin with. I
suggest implementing http://cr.yp.to/checkpwd.html for password-like
methods.

I'm fairly new to the libssh2 code but have been with OpenSSH-portable
for many years. Depending on how generic you want the server to be I
think what is in libssh2 makes a good start.

> Is there anything in the library today that makes it unsuitable to
> be used as an SSH server library?

Don't know. You might want to look at how well libssh2 scrubs secrets
once they have been used, but since you're doing embedded maybe that
is not a priority. I guess the question comes down to why you want to
use SSH.

> Does anyone have any clue how much work it is to implement the
> server part also?

Sorry, no. I think you could benefit from a short prestudy where your
requirements in the embedded system are compared with both the SSH
protocol and the libssh2 codebase.

If you are interested, I would be happy to send you an offer for
commercial support. I run a consulting company in Malmö.