Re: more about the mailing list

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:39:38 +0100

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:39, Simon Josefsson <simon_at_josefsson.org> wrote:
> Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> writes:
>
>> Hey
>>
>> I'd just like to mention that I find sourceforge's hideous ads they add in
>> every single darned mail we send/get on this list totally outrageously big and
>> annoying. In many mails the ads are larger than the actual content.
>>
>> For this reason alone I think we should consider moving the lists off
>> sourceforge to somewhere that doesn't auto-add junk in mails.
>
> +1

Another +1

[..]
> We also have the topic of switching to a distributed version control
> system. ;)
>
> /Simon

It would have been lovly to use git instead of cvs.. presumably bazaar
(sp?), for example, could be used as well, I have not used that one
myself but from a description about how to get real work done with it
it didn't look bad.
I have converted some of our internal (at work) cvs repos to git,
keeping the cvs records (and even branches, in some cases). Some of
those repos were earlier converted from sccs, with records, so I have
git repos with checkins going back up to 16 years :-)

On the other hand I also just use git in combination with the existing
cvs repo for libcurl - I check out from cvs, then I make it a git
repo, which I can hack and clone to other machines so that when I make
a patch I can easily pull that over from e.g. aix to irix to see if it
works well -- when all's done I can then do a cvs diff and produce a
patch.

-Tor