Subject: Re: [libssh2] Wrap up a release!

Re: [libssh2] Wrap up a release!

From: Eric Sproul <eric_at_nanobyte.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:24:34 -0400

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Dan Fandrich wrote:
>
>> In the spirit of being pedantic, names beginning with a single underscore
>> are supposed to be reserved for the OS and libraries. Although, since
>> libssh2 is a library that ships with lots of Linux-derived OSes, it could
>> probably fall under that loophole.
>
> Yeah, and names with _libssh2 already existed in the library - I didn't
> introduce them now. I just tried to make our use of them a little more
> consistent.

Hi,
 From a quick read of this excerpt from "C in a Nutshell", it seems pretty clear
that leading underscores are reserved identifiers: http://tinyurl.com/dnk36p
(goes to books.google.com... stick "preview." in front of tinyurl.com if you
don't trust me.)

The attached patch against the 20090319 snapshot changes "_libssh2" names to
non-reserved "libssh2__" names. I applied the following one-liner to fresh
sources, then built and tested on Ubuntu 8.04:

find ./libssh2-1.0.1-20090319 -type f -name '*.[ch]' | xargs perl -pi -e
"s/_libssh2_/libssh2__/g"

Regards,
Eric