Subject: GIT for idiot apprentice

GIT for idiot apprentice

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 19:34:57 +0200

Folks,
I have not yet got the basics of GIT - call me idiot, whatever ...
can someone please draw me a line how to work stressless with that
beasty repository tool and without need to study docu for 3 days?

All what I need is only:
- create a local copy of the libssh2 repos
- modify files
- upload the changes

what I was told so far by Peter and others, I tried is:

- git clone ssh://user@git.stuge.se/var/lib/git/libssh2.git
- modified files
- git push origin master

this resulted only in a message 'all uptodate'.
Meanwhile files were changed in the libssh2 repos today ...; I tried:
- git push origin master
To ssh://user@git.stuge.se/var/lib/git/libssh2.git
 ! [rejected] master -> master (non-fast forward)
error: failed to push some refs to
'ssh://user@git.stuge.se/var/lib/git/libssh2.git'

fine, so I tried:
- git pull --rebase
nw/Makefile.netware: needs update
win32/Makefile.win32: needs update
refusing to pull with rebase: your working tree is not up-to-date

argh!! GIT is really a non-intuitive system for me; all I want to do is
simply merging stuff from main repos, and commit my changes - why is
that such hell?

Please advice correct usage! Thanks!

Gün.