Subject: Re: Login failure with libssh2-1.2.2 and SuSE Enterprise 10 Linux

Re: Login failure with libssh2-1.2.2 and SuSE Enterprise 10 Linux

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:41:52 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Dave McCaldon wrote:

> I think I've found the problem. It seems we're asking for an ssh-connection
> method "password" and this server doesn't seem to allow password. Note that
> regular [OpenSSH] ssh asks for keyboard-interactive.

AFAIR, regular openssh asks for many different authentications one by one. If
configured to do so at least.

> The application code isn't designed to be "driven" by a user, so
> keyboard-interactive didn't seem the right function to use. The question
> is, is this just a sshd configuration problem? Or should I be using
> libssh2_userauth_keyboard_interactive_ex() and then writing a callback
> function that simply returns the password as supplied by the app?

From a program's point of view, password and keyboard-interactive really
aren't very different. At least from what I understand after having quickly
glanced over what the docs say (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4252.txt and
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4256.txt). I figure your application could just as
well try both, one at a time.