Subject: Re: git branches remotes pushing master and origin :)

Re: git branches remotes pushing master and origin :)

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 21:09:52 +0100

Alexander Lamaison wrote:

> >> Sorry, it was a mistake.  That'll teach me to use TortoiseGit.
> >
> > Did this happen using TortoiseGit?
>
> Yes, though it was probably my fault.

Oh I don't know about that.. See rant on defaults below.

> I don't understand the need for all this complexity though. Why is
> it that Mercurial always seems to do what I expect while Git
> randomly looks up an operation from its table of
> things-a-user-would-never-possibly-want and applies that instead.

Not random, but I totally agree that git defaults are not so
sensible. I would e.g. like more lines added to .git/config by
default, so that fetch/pull/push would all do obvious things without
needing config changes. I blame the HEAD adventure on this.

> I realise that it's my own ignorance at fault here but, ultimately,
> don't programmers have better things to be spending their time on
> than the intricacies of the version control program.

I felt a tradeoff between unneeded complexity and utility when
starting out with git but not so much after that, and the more I use
it the easier it seems to get.