Subject: how to not do a binding

how to not do a binding

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 11:29:59 +0200 (CEST)

Hi friends,

The other day in #libssh2 a mr 'wallunit' made me aware of a Python binding
for libssh2 named SSH4Py:
http://www.keyphrene.com/products/4py/index.php?lng=en

I just wanted to mention it here since it is made in a way that a binding
really shouldn't: it requires and uses libssh2_priv.h and other library
private data.

While that may seem like a quick and easy way to get some things done, it will
be a perfect way to make the binding break in funny ways if you upgrade
libssh2. We make no guarantees or attempts to keep our internals identical
between versions!

A "proper" library binding *ONLY* uses the public API/ABI. Of course we like
an appreciate bindings for other languages, but doing them in a sloppy manner
won't make users happy.