Subject: Re: preserving access and modification time

Re: preserving access and modification time

From: Uli Zappe <uli_at_ritual.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:49:24 +0200

I wrote:

> Now, of course you would think that the time preserving examples of the linked article would work as well the other way round, i.e. doing something like
>
> $ scp -pt /tmp
> $ T1183832947 0 1183833773 0
> $ C0644 6 test
> $ [content]
>
> However, this does *not* work
> [...]
> 2. Is this a peculiarity of Mac OS X's version of OpenSSH?

I have now cross-checked on Linux, and the issue is exactly the same. So unless someone here reports differently, I would now assume that setting access and modification times on the remote end via scp works for no-one in libssh2 (or via the shell as shown above).

So the big question is, what is the "mystery meat" in OpenSSH's scp command line utility that makes it successful in setting access and modification times on the (very same) remote end? As I said, using the verbose option (scp -v) makes it look as if it did exactly the same as libssh2, while obviously it doesn't.

Very strange.

            Bye
                    Uli

  Uli Zappe, Solmsstraße 5, D-65189 Wiesbaden, Germany
  http://www.ritual.org
  Fon: +49-700-ULIZAPPE
  Fax: +49-700-ZAPPEFAX