Subject: Re: Disabling compression by API?

Re: Disabling compression by API?

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 20:57:24 -0700

On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 12:54:54PM +0200, Tor Arntsen wrote:
> Shrink to half is normally only true for text.
> Almost all the data I transfer is some kind of binary data, and it
> doesn't compress nearly as well. The satellite data I transfer
> compresses somewhere between 0 % (SAR data) and 10-15% (optical).

I'm also willing to guess that most users of libssh2 aren't doing
interactive shell sessions but automating some kind of file transfer. I'm
further willing to guess that more often than not those files are either
in some kind of binary foramt or already compressed. I think that
compression should default to off, for those reasons and because it means
one less thing that can go wrong as somebody starts to integrating libssh2
into his app.

>>> Dan