Subject: Re: libssh2-1.2.8-20110111 issue

Re: libssh2-1.2.8-20110111 issue

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:03:59 +0100

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> [1] = one can argue that it is a slight deviation
..

> [2] = we work really hard on maintaining a stable API and ABI so
> that applications and surroundings keep working even when we
> improve libssh2. This is a sometimes ungrateful work involving
> pain, but it pays out in the long run. In this particular case with
> SFTP transfers, we've discussed introducing new functions that
> better offer the pipelined transfer we need to get really good
> transfer speeds, but nothing has yet happened on that front.

Making subtle changes to the library behavior, ie. "slight
deviations", is a slippery slope that quickly goes downhill.

I think many if not most users would be thrilled to start using a new
API in order to gain performance, even to the point that it would
quickly become the de-facto standard way of using the library.

I think it's important that we not change semantics, even if it's
only slightly. I expect it will come back to bite.