Subject: Re: memory leak in _libssh2_channel_open

Re: memory leak in _libssh2_channel_open

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 00:18:40 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012, Steven Dake wrote:

>> I'm curious if the leak remains if your app exits? I mean, could it be
>> packets that are received and are just appended in the incoming package
>> queue and then are never discarded from there?
>
> If my app exits, libssh2 is no longer being consumed by my application and
> the leak is collected by the operating system.

Sure, but valgrind would still helpfully point out the memory areas that
weren't freed by libssh2 and thus were leaks. If they _were_ freed by libssh2
on exit, they were data lingering in some list. Still a leak of some sorts,
but it would help us understand what happens.

>> 300K during 8 hours seems like a fairly small amount of memory per
>> packet
>
> yes data per packet seems small but adds up over time

Oh indeed. I'm not making up excuses, I'm just trying to make observations to
figure out patterns of when it happens.