Subject: Re: memory leak in _libssh2_channel_open

Re: memory leak in _libssh2_channel_open

From: Steven Dake <sdake_at_redhat.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:30:23 -0700

On 02/24/2012 04:20 PM, Steven Dake wrote:

>>> If my app exits, libssh2 is no longer being consumed by my application
>>> and the leak is collected by the operating system.
>>
>> Sure, but valgrind would still helpfully point out the memory areas that
>> weren't freed by libssh2 and thus were leaks. If they _were_ freed by
>> libssh2 on exit, they were data lingering in some list. Still a leak of
>> some sorts, but it would help us understand what happens.
>>

> Yes I understand now - I'll add a signal handler and correctly free data
> on exit and report back.

Daniel,

After adding the sigint handler, letting my app run for 12 hours, then
ctrl-c the app inside valgrind, the leaks are collected by the sigint
handler.

My sigint handler frees any open channels at the time via
libssh2_channel_free() and frees any open sessions| via
libssh2_session_free(). There are some other key gen releated 1-3 block
leaks which don't concern me (and I am probably not cleaning up ssh
globally).

So it appears the packets are still present on the session list but
somehow dropped by the open call and not removed.

If you have other suggestions for getting to the root cause please let
me know. I am happy to help.

Regards
-steve