Subject: Re: SSH2 host key length and hash compute

Re: SSH2 host key length and hash compute

From: Alexander Lamaison <swish_at_lammy.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 09:57:53 +0100

On 2 July 2013 07:34, Kalpesh Parekh <kalpesh.ork2_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alex
>
> The APIs I am using are libssh2_session_hostkey to retreive the host key and
> libssh2_hostkey_hash to compute the hash from the key.
>
> The first API returns the length of the host key in a variable passed to it
> as a function argument. The variable is of size_t type and indicates the
> size of host key. I need to convert this value to bits. Can you let me know
> how can I do this?

Why do you need to convert it to bits? What does that actually mean?
The size_t length is just a number.

> This variable is passed to the second api and the hash is returned.

Have you read the documentation?

http://www.libssh2.org/libssh2_hostkey_hash.html
http://www.libssh2.org/libssh2_session_hostkey.html

The two functions are unrelated. You do not pass the output from one
as the input to the other.

> Here
> based on the type of host key, if it is RSA I request for the md5 hash and
> sha1 hash for DSS key. Let me know if my assumption is correct here

You can request MD5 or SHA1, as you wish, independent of the key type.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)