Subject: Re: CMake

Re: CMake

From: Alexander Lamaison <swish_at_lammy.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 18:53:46 +0000

On 11 December 2014 at 06:22, Toan Pham <tpham3783_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > 4) For better or worse, CMake has won the latest war of the C/C++
> > build systems.
>
> I understand your reasons for migrating to CMake. But where did you get
> reason# 4 (below)?
> I know that most of kde projects use Cmake; but other than that, i dont know
> why cmake has won the WAR! do you have a reference?

No reference, just a conclusion based on mounting evidence. I can't
remember the last time I saw a new project that chose a build system
other than CMake. Jetbrains chose CMake as the basis of CLion, their
new flavour of the IntelliJ IDE for C/C++. Microsoft joined the party
(not as definitive a win as it used to be, but definitely noteworthy).
Boost are putting huge effort into moving to CMake from Boost.Jam.

The little bits all add up to a win.
Just my humble opinion.

Alex

--