Subject: re: Removing non-CMake windows support (was Re: problems building under Windows)

re: Removing non-CMake windows support (was Re: problems building under Windows)

From: George Garner (online) <ggarner_online_at_gmgsystemsinc.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 09:50:53 -0500

The existing VS project files don't work out of the box. Only the debug
build appear to have been tested. There is no 64-bit build. That having
been said they were a convenient starting point and with 15 minutes of work
I was able to get both 32 and 64-bit projects to build with the WinCNG,
zlib and secure zero memory support. I did have to edit the source files in
places, for example to enclose some include files with a carrot ('<')
rather than double quotes ('"'), and to change the "#ifdef WIN32" to "#if
defined (WIN32) || defined (WIN64)." However, on whole, the current VS
project files were helpful as a starting point.

My main concern is the number of warnings. Many of the warnings appear to
be benign warnings about the truncation of 64-bit to 32-bit data types. The
warnings that concern me the most involve the signed/unsigned mismatches
and what I consider the gratuitous use of signed data types. I would look
at the code around each of these warnings and verify whether there is an
arithmetic operation that could produce a negative number and no check for
integer underflow.

I have gone through the code and made a substantial number of edits, but
then I will have to do it all over again with the next release. Silencing
the warnings with appropriate edits to your code would show that you care.

Regards,

George.