Subject: Re: energy boost?

Re: energy boost?

From: Jeroen Wiert Pluimers <jeroen.pluimers.com+libssh2.org_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 13:00:22 +0100

Thanks Daniel for all your efforts so far.

I understand your position and know how tough contributing over a long time
can be.

For the foreseeable time I need to limit my open source contribution
efforts to a combination that satisfies:

- occasional sprees of effort
- areas that I'm either already comfortable with or are in close-term need
(note: I'm willing to learn new things outside my comfort zone, but doing
that well takes time which I need to fit in)
- aim for the Windows side of things focussed on Visual Studio and/or
Delphi tool-chains
- fit in my day-to-day life involving more and more family care
- don't interfere with the preparations for the 4-yearly World Music
Contest mid next year (my marching band has been in the world top-10 for
like 3 decades which each time is a sort of Herculean effort but worth it
as counter-weight to my computing efforts)

I've sort of promised to help Bert with efforts in the direction of
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2016/09/19/vcpkg-a-tool-to-acquire-and-build-c-open-source-libraries-on-windows/

My short to medium term aim is to get libssh2 to build as a monolithic
Windows DLL (x86 needed, x64 nice to have) with as much ciphers as possible
as it's on
https://bitbucket.org/ZeljkoMarjanovic/libssh2-delphi/src/tip/bin/libssh2.dll
without any build instructions.

Almost everything I do that's sort of publicly usable eventually appears on
the existing open source repository my https://wiert.me, blog,
https://bitbucket.org/jeroenp/ or https://github.com/jpluimers

I try to push things as much upstream as I can since forks are the achilles
heel of Open Source (though I get the emotional side of many forks, I
learned that those take away too much energy so I try to get over
them/ignore/whatever as much as possible. Sorry if/when people find that an
offence).

Recent contributions have been incidental but broad and include:

- https://github.com/deadlockempire/deadlockempire.github.io
- https://github.com/certbot/certbot
- https://github.com/jpluimers/mikrotik-routeros
- https://github.com/VSoftTechnologies/DUnitX
- https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update
- https://github.com/drwetter/testssl.sh
- https://github.com/jrsoftware/issrc
- https://bitbucket.org/jeroenp/libssh2-delphi

It shows the dilemma I'm in, hence the occasional sprees.

Regards,