Subject: libssh2_session_init_ex memory allocation functions

libssh2_session_init_ex memory allocation functions

From: Etienne Samson via libssh2-devel <libssh2-devel_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 17:02:51 +0200

Hi libssh2-devel !

I've been working on and off on how libssh2 manages its crypto backends (the end goal being native support for Apple's CommonCrypto), so I started hacking on having a "real" API instead of a bunch of `#define`s (I have a branch that removes the duplicated DH hashing in kex.c thanks to that).

`libssh2_session_init_ex` takes function pointers for memory-management, but there are many offenders (OpenSSL has 7, os400qc3 has 15, WinCNG has 23, you can check using regex `((m|clre)alloc|\sfree)\(`), and this doesn't account for "indirect" uses (the mbedTLS backend uses its own functions, I'd wager most of OpenSSL `*_new` functions do too).

Hence my question is, should I strive to preserve those function pointers and fix those offenders, or would it be acceptable to deprecate those in favor of having more direct `libssh2_(malloc|calloc|realloc|free)` global functions that don't need a `LIBSSH2_SESSION` struct (which is my current problem) ?

I do realize that maybe embedded users of libssh2 have a use for those, or that having those new functions as globals is not a change we want to make. Given the way the current backend macro-API is generally modeled after the OpenSSL quirks^W API, and that its recent incarnations seems to be doing away with having stack-allocation, I'd prefer not to preserve stack-allocating things if it's going away.

Opinions ?

Regards,
Etienne Samson

--