Subject: Re: so name bump; impact on major, minor and patch version

Re: so name bump; impact on major, minor and patch version

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:31:07 +0100

Jose Baars wrote:
> For the foreseeable future I won't be using libtool, it solves
> problems that do not exist on VMS, and introduces problems due to
> the non-native nature of bash and the gnu tools on VMS,

Absolutely no reason to force libtool into the mix then.

I'd be fine with adding VMS build files to libssh2 same as there are
win32 build files.

However, maybe VMS can still use the soname (the 1.1 API version) as
an indicator of compatibility?

Even though libssh2 changes constantly, the API has only been
expanded and not altered for a pretty long time, which is also why
we're facing a compatibility break - by now we've gathered enough
issues/reasons to actually motivate breaking compatibility.

That said the new API will be introduced in a nice way somehow,
details under discussion already.

> My personal priority is in getting the SSH functionality available
> on VMS, and device a sustainable way to keep up with the quick pace
> in which libssh2 evolves.

I'm now reading
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/journal/v7/faking_it_with_openvms_shareable_images.pdf

to learn more about shared images. Let's see if we can find something
that works well. :)