Subject: Re: so name bump; impact on major, minor and patch version

Re: so name bump; impact on major, minor and patch version

From: Simon Josefsson <simon_at_josefsson.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 09:52:07 +0100

Jose Baars <peut_at_peut.org> writes:

> For the foreseeable future I won't be using libtool, it solves
> problems that do not exist on VMS, and introduces problems due to the
> non-native nature of bash and the gnu tools on VMS, although John
> Malmberg has been pretty successful in getting it to work for curl and
> zlib amongst others.

Just a general point. Libtool doesn't solve a problem on any particular
platform, instead, it's point is to allow maintainers to avoid having to
think about platform specific peculiarities.

However if you maintain the VMS port for libssh2, and don't want to use
libtool, that's fine, but then you need to stay on top of API/ABI
changes etc manually so the same problem doesn't hit VMS users.

I think a VMS directory, like the win32 directory, is fine. But it
requires someone to maintain it, but with your generous work I think we
have that covered!

/Simon