Subject: Re: libssh2 master 42aefdb configure.ac: Call zlib zlib and not libz in text but keep option names

Re: libssh2 master 42aefdb configure.ac: Call zlib zlib and not libz in text but keep option names

From: Kamil Dudka <kdudka_at_redhat.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 09:41:12 +0200

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 08:51:49 Peter Stuge wrote:
> Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> > I disagree about it being an abuse.
>
> I'm actually surprised.
>
> Compilers compile and build systems manage what files get compiled.
> I hope you agree that the C preprocessor is not a build system.

While I agree on that, it does not imply that your solution is any better.

> > I rather defer all the build stuff on build other systems than my
> > own to others
>
> Yes and no. If a build system is to be supported by the project then
> it should really include the complete range of functionality. This
> isn't the case for *any* of the build systems in libssh2 besides
> autotools. All others are hardcoded to OpenSSL.
>
> > then I like being able to help them as much as possible and
>
> I think it's important to consider what the project as a whole
> outputs, rather than what individual contributors propose.
>
> Discussions such as these can and often do lead to improvements,
> but all improvements need time.
>
> > using Makefile.inc for getting the files to build is one such way.
>
> No way. It's really just nonsense.

The above is just expressing your _personal_ preference. Your commit removes
11 lines and inserts 25 lines, which does not convince me you are simplifying
things.

The complexity of your solution is close to O(m*n), where 'm' is the number
of build systems and 'n' is the number of crypto backends we support. Your
argument that currently n=1 for most of the build systems is just a short-term
argument despite you are presenting your contribution as a long-term solution.

> > I vote for reverting d512b25f (although it doesn't do that cleanly
> > right now)

+1

Kamil