Subject: Re: libssh2 master 42aefdb configure.ac: Call zlib zlib and not libz in text but keep option names

Re: libssh2 master 42aefdb configure.ac: Call zlib zlib and not libz in text but keep option names

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 14:28:14 +0200

Kamil Dudka wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 08:51:49 Peter Stuge wrote:
> > Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> > > I disagree about it being an abuse.
> >
> > I'm actually surprised.
> >
> > Compilers compile and build systems manage what files get compiled.
> > I hope you agree that the C preprocessor is not a build system.
>
> While I agree on that, it does not imply that your solution is any better.

I don't think I understand what you mean.

Are you saying that you don't think it is better to use build systems to
manage what files get compiled instead of abusing the C preprocessor for it?

> > > using Makefile.inc for getting the files to build is one such way.
> >
> > No way. It's really just nonsense.
>
> The above is just expressing your _personal_ preference.

What is yours?

> Your commit removes 11 lines and inserts 25 lines, which does not
> convince me you are simplifying things.

Did you actually look at the change to see what it does, or only the
diffstat? I think an increase of 14(!) lines is an acceptable cost
for something that approaches actual abstraction as opposed to an
ugly static hack.

> The complexity of your solution is close to O(m*n), where 'm' is the number
> of build systems and 'n' is the number of crypto backends we support.

I think that is completely irrelevant for such a trivial matter.

> Your argument that currently n=1 for most of the build systems
> is just a short-term argument despite you are presenting your
> contribution as a long-term solution.

I think it is absolutely apalling that there is so much build system
crap in the libssh2 repo which isn't feature complete. I consider it
a defect of our project and can not understand that it would be used
in support of any proposed change.

The reality is that everyone who contributed all the various build
system files either do not care or are not capable of fixing that,
and Daniel only cares about what he himself uses.

I also care about the NMakefiles, and I can't belive that you are
bitching about computational complexity for commits that add a
conditional or two to build files... I find it out of proportion,
to be polite.