Subject: Re: libssh2 master 42aefdb configure.ac: Call zlib zlib and not libz in text but keep option names

Re: libssh2 master 42aefdb configure.ac: Call zlib zlib and not libz in text but keep option names

From: Kamil Dudka <kdudka_at_redhat.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 15:06:51 +0200

On Wednesday 18 September 2013 14:28:14 Peter Stuge wrote:
> Kamil Dudka wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm actually surprised.
> > >
> > > Compilers compile and build systems manage what files get compiled.
> > > I hope you agree that the C preprocessor is not a build system.
> >
> > While I agree on that, it does not imply that your solution is any
> > better.
>
> I don't think I understand what you mean.
>
> Are you saying that you don't think it is better to use build systems to
> manage what files get compiled instead of abusing the C preprocessor for
> it?

As far as I can see, you are the only person on the list calling it "abuse".
Are you going to replace something that works by something that you like?

> > > No way. It's really just nonsense.
> >
> > The above is just expressing your _personal_ preference.
>
> What is yours?

The "#ifdef around a module" approach has been used also in the curl project
for quite some time, not causing any issues so far. At the moment, I do not
see any valid reason to change it.

Kamil